Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Princess and the....

Lentil.  As in, the best lentil soup ever!  Since it is Lent, I have been trying to think of some inventive, meat free meals.  Okay, so perhaps lentil soup isn't inventive, but it sure is delicious!  And that's important, even during Lent.  I usually use beef broth or stock for this soup, although I suppose it would be almost as delicious with a vegetable stock.  I'm making this for dinner Friday, and serving it with grilled french bread and a caesar salad.

If you have any royally delicious vegetarian dishes to share, please do!


HRH's Lentil Soup

1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 large Shallot or 1 small onion, diced
2 Carrots, cut into thin rounds
1 Celery Rib, sliced thin
1 or 2 Garlic clove(s), smashed with the side of your knife
1 tsp Dry Thyme
5-6 Cups Broth or Stock, depending on thickness desired
1 1/2 Cups Green or Brown Lentils (if you use red, they will turn to mush)
Bay Leaf
1 1/2- 2 tsp of Salt
Fresh Baby Spinach (3 or 4 handfuls)

Heat the butter and oil in your soup pot over medium-low to medium heat.  Add Shallot, Carrots, and Celery- saute, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is soft, and the vegetables are fragrant.  Add garlic cloves and thyme, turn heat up to medium-high and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes, stirring often.  Next, add broth.  Add lentils, and stir to make sure they haven't all sunk to the bottom.  Add bay leaf and salt, and bring pot to a boil  Then, turn heat down to medium-low, and simmer until lentils are soft, about 20-30 minutes.  Just before serving, stir in the spinach.  It will immediately wilt down to nothing!  Serve piping hot with french bread, or grilled cheese.

 

2 comments:

une autre mère said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you did so I could check yours out too! It's so cute! And I'm curious... does "HRH" stand for "her royal highness?" Just a guess since you seem very regal. :) Hope you don't mind me becoming a "follower."

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

sounds super yummy, I'll have to try it I love lentils